HARDtalk’s Stephen Sackur speaks to Pinchas Goldschmidt, the Swiss-born Chief Rabbi of Moscow and president of the Conference of European Rabbis on the subject of rising anti-Semitism in Europe and the United States. Rabbi Goldschmidt explains that:
- Antisemitism is back in vogue;
- There has been a decline in Europe’s Jewish population from 2 million to 1.6 million;
- Some European countries are trying to rewrite the history of the Holocaust;
- The internet is “under-regulated” in combating hate speech; and
- The future of Jews in Europe is dependent on the future of Europe, which is currently in doubt.
The future of Europe and European Jewry each seem uncertain a troubling way. The European Union has done a good job of keeping the peace. Is post-WWII European peace at risk?